How To Be Bronze: Favorite Products
Ever since I can remember, I have preferred to look like a tanner version of myself. I used to be a tanning bed addict for more than years than I would like to admit, but I cancelled my membership about a year and a half ago to save money (and my skin!) and switch to self- tanners. During the summer I still enjoy laying out by the pool, but with much more SPF. This post is all about the products I rely on year round to give me the dark shade I want.
The first tanning lotion I bought in probably about middle school smelled SO strong and turned me bright orange, but I didn’t care. I think it was the Neutrogena Build-A -Tan lotion and Micro Mist. Throwback! I have been hooked on tanning ever since. I definitely do not still use these… maybe I will give them another go one day since I am guessing the formula has changed.
No matter whether it’s July or November, if I have a party or event to be at, I am going to be tanned to the max. “If you can’t tone it, tan it” has always been my motto for problem areas. Being tan definitely gives me more confidence when it comes to my body.
Self Tanners I Love
- Holy Grail– Loving Tan 2 Hour Express in Dark or the Deluxe Bronzing Mousse (non- 2 Hour) in Ultra Dark for when I want to look like I just got back from a month in Jamaica. This is hands- down the best tanning product I have ever tried. You will get compliments from strangers if you use it.
- Besides that one, I use TanWise mousse when I don’t want to waste my Loving Tan.
- In my sorority days, my friends and I would take turns spraying each other down with the Salon Bronze spray tan gun you can get at Sally Beauty Supply. I still like this one but don’t consider it long lasting, and it makes a huge mess.
- Banana Boat Summer Color Deep Dark – If I am lazy or just want use a lotion rather than a mousse, I really like this as a drugstore option. Caution: It definitely has a smell as it develops.
- My favorite way to apply mousse is to use the Ulta Double Sided Tanning Mitt. I get tons of uses out of it, then wash it with dish soap to extend it even further.
- I really struggle to avoid getting a white area on my “elbow pit” (that sounds so weird to say but like the crook of my inner arm opposite from my elbow). I guess I get hot there, because the tan likes to crease up and fade there. I try to lessen that effect by patting baby powder in that area when I am drying off. With Loving Tan it is pretty minimal, but with TanWise it’s the worst.
- Save time and product by skipping applying tan to legs during the winter. My legs will be hibernating in leggings and jeans, so I don’t bother. I focus on my neck, arms, and chest and no one will know anyway.
- Try self- tanning if you haven’t before! Something about looking bronze boosts my mood as if I’ve actually gone on vacation. I always do it on my pamper nights.
Since I scrub and wash my face so often, I usually avoid putting fake tanner on my face. Instead, I use a darker foundation to match my body when I am tan.
Sephora Collection Perfection Mist Airbrush Bronzer Face and Body- this bronzer spray is my secret weapon. After you complete your makeup (but before highlighting), spray a light layer of this bronzer all over your face. It literally looks like you have an Instagram filter on your face. This can also be used on your body that needs a color boost.
Makeup For Ever Pro Bronze Fusion Bronzer
Milani Baked Bronzer
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Sun Power
Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer
Urban Decay Beached Bronzer
Benefit Rockateur – shimmery peachy pink
Benefit Dallas – subtle blush that blends well with a contour
BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Luminous Blush – all these shimmery shades are so pretty. I own Blushed Copper and Wild Honey.
Gold highlighters are some of my favorites for tan skin. One that I love is the Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit in That Glow. To make it even more intense, I put a liquid highlight underneath the powder like a primer. My favorites are the Sephora Collection Radiant Luminizing Drops in Morning Light, or Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector (liquid) in Champagne Pop. The Colourpop highlighters are also a perfect creamy formula for using like a primer.
More items for getting bronze and glowy that I do not own, but have heard great things about:
CoverFx Custom Enhancer Drops
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer
Fake Bake Flawless Darker Self- Tan Liquid